"A book is the best of friends, the same today and forever." ~ Martin Tupper

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Creating Beanie




It’s surprising how many times I’ve been asked how I came up with the name ‘Beanie”. Truth is the inquisitive young character came to be long before he ever had a name! He’d made discoveries, laughed and cried and even named his own dog before it occurred to me that my little adventurer did not yet have a name!

The subject consumed me for weeks while I fretted about what – and even whether – to name him. Nothing seemed to fit, no name seemed right until one day I mentioned my dilemma to a workmate who may not have been a fan of children’s literature but was kind enough to listen. Balling up a candy wrapper and making a dramatic bank shot into the trash can he said simply “Beanie.”. I thought about it for a good long minute before I knew that was it! 

In fact the naming of Beanie (at last) resulted in the decision to compile his adventures into his own chapter book: Beanie’s Backyard.


No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by! Feel free to join the conversation!