"A book is the best of friends, the same today and forever." ~ Martin Tupper

Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy Trails for 2017!



It’s International Wayfinding Month!  A global celebration of all the handy tools and signs we use every single day to help us find our way.

Even before we had cities and cars, people made markings (petroglyphics) on cave walls and canyon passes to show new travelers what to expect, for instance animals – or warriors (eep!).

 Many of the signs we use today are quite clever

And a few are a little confusing

Before the invention of the compass, people generally relied upon the sun, the stars or landmarks seen from ships at sea for navigation. On land it is well known that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. However, due to seasonal changes in latitude which occur during summer and winter, travelers can become quite lost if they don’t know which pole (North or South) is currently pointing to the sun. And what if you happen to be lost on a cloudy day? No worries with a trusty compass!

Has there ever been a time you could have used a handy tool or sign? Which one helped you find your way?

3 comments:

  1. dIEDRE ~
    Your comment on Lee's recent post led me here. I didn't know you had a second blog.

    I dig the theme because I'm just a big kid who never grew up. I've also written a manuscript for a children's book: 'The Misadventures Of Muddy, A Dirty Yellow Dawg'. It's about 3rd-grade level, according to my Sister who used to teach at a Montessori school. (And by coincidence, I'm a 3rd-grade level person, too.)

    'The House At Pooh Corner' is one of my all-time favorite books. I'm also a huge fan of 'The Wind In The Willows'.

    Who illustrates your books? I need an illustrator for 'Muddy'.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    Check out my new blog @
    (Link:] Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Reno!
      This is a treat since I don't get a lot of visitors here. I can tell folks are watching though, because many find their way to my website.
      'Muddy' sounds delightful! Check out illustrations by Jeslyn Cantrell. There are many good ones out there, different styles, etc.
      I loved "The Wind in The Willows' too.
      Third grade level, huh? No worries, I enjoy all levels ;-)

      Delete
    2. dIEDRE ~
      Yeah, this is a pretty limiting market, so I can see why you wouldn't get a lot of comments. It's a blog that will mostly interest just parents with young kids, and big kids like me who write for little kids.

      Thanks a lot for the tip. I will check out Jeslyn's work!

      I was surprised to find a Martin Tupper quote at the top of your blog. You really don't strike me as a person who would be a fan the cable TV series 'Dream On'.

      ...OH! Oh, wait! You mean that other "Martin Tupper". (Ha!-Ha!)

      See ya around...

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Check out my new blog @
      (Link:] Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Feel free to join the conversation!